Wagyu is highly marbled. Marbling refers to the visible layers of intramuscular fat. This is the fat that is found in the muscle. Wagy contains a higher percentage of fatty acids than ordinary beef, this gives it a higher marbling score. The more tender, juicy and flavoursome the higher the marbling score will be.
All Kobe is Wagyu, but not all Wagyu is Kobe. Genuine Kobe beef comes from the the black Tajima breed of wagyu cattle in Hyogo Prefecture and raised according to strict protocol. Certified Kobe beef carries an appoval mark of designation that is stamped on four places on the carcass. There are roughly only 21 restaurants in the US that serve genuine Kobe beef.
Wagyu contains a higher percentage of omega-3, omega-6 fatty acid and more monounsaturated fats than other beef. These fats in moderation are both beneficial and essential to a healthy diet.
Fullbloods are 100% traceable to Japanese herbs with no crossbreeding.
Purebred Wagyu contains more than 93.75% pure Japanese wagyu genectics. These cattle are a result of crossbreeding a 100% wagyu and a crossbred cow.
F1 would be a cross between a 100% Wagyu and another breed of cattle. This will give you 50% wagyu blood.
If you take your F1 Wagyu and breed back to 100% Wagyu you would have an F2 or 75% Wagyu blood.
Now take your F2 and breed back to 100% Wagyu again. This would be an F3, 87% Wagyu blood.
American Wagyu is the crossbreeding of 100% Wagyu and traditional beef cattle breeds.
Not all of the cow makes it to the table. On average, a 1,000 pound steer will only weigh approximately 61% of it’s live weight once it makes it to the rail. This approximate 39% loss during the slaughter and dressing procedure. The remaining 61% is often referred to as the “Hanging Weight” or the weight “On the Rail”. But, the loss doesn’t stop there. Once the carcass is on the rail it begins to leach moisture(shrink) which accounts for additional weight loss. This along with the fat and bone removed during the cutting account for an additional 18% loss. In summary, a steer weighing 1,000 pounds on the hoof will average around 430 pounds of retail cuts (steaks, roasts, ground beef, stew beef, etc.).